Your Personal Dietitian
Contact Angela DeBarthe, MS, RDN, LD to help you reach your health and exercise potential. Call 816-629-3575.
At Excelsior Springs Hospital, we know the important role nutrition plays in improving health and fighting disease. Whether you're hoping to lower your cholesterol or make other lifestyle changes to improve your health, our registered dietitian can develop a personalized nutrition plan to help you achieve your goals.
What Is a Registered Dietitian?
A registered dietitian can help you lose weight, eat healthy and reduce your risk of chronic disease. Registered dietitians hold degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health and related fields from accredited universities and participate in ongoing professional education credits to maintain certification.
Personalized Nutrition for Better Health
Our registered dietitian offers customized nutrition services to meet your health goals including:
- Diabetes Management
- Fitness Discussions
- Food Allergies
- Grocery Store Tours
- Heart Healthy Eating
- Meal Planning and Shopping Lists
- Sports Nutrition
- Weight Loss
Learning how to make healthy nutritional choices can be more fun with friends. Call for a customized presentation for your church, school or work health solutions group. We offer cooking classes, food demos, games and more to help you and your colleagues learn about the benefits of healthy eating and achieve lifestyle changes.
Individual counseling requires a physician’s order and diagnosis. Excelsior Springs Hospital will pre-authorize counseling with your insurance provider. Call 816-629-3575 for more information.
Beat the Mid-Day Energy Drop
Grab these treats to beat the mid- day energy drop instead of fat gaining and brain clouding items:
- Toast with avocado, basil, egg, slice of tomato
- Sweet potato slices with parmesan cheese
- Unsweetened almond milk with cinnamon stick and a few cardamom pods, chai tea bag
- Candy cane lane tea or other teas such as strawberry
- Cup of chocolate, cocoa mint mate, cocoa caramel sea salt which are a good choice of antioxidants and nutrients.
- Homemade ice cream sweetened with fruits
- Banana with PB2 or frozen with chocolate or
- Berries with chocolate
Top Foods for Recovery & Healing
These foods are easy to prepare, rich in nutrients, and great for healing:
- Tomato juice/tomato
- Co!age cheese
- PB and nuts
- Canned fruit
- Canned tuna
- Whole grain crackers
- Powdered milk
- Frozen veggies
- Canned or dried beans
Probiotic Foods for Digestive Health
The lists of foods below are rich in probiotics which help with digestion and reduce gastrointestinal elements:
- Kefir- drinkable yogurt milk
- Tempeh-soybean based use
- Miso-fermented grain or bean used as a paste. Can be added to soups.
- Dark chocolate
- Kimchi-pickled sauerkraut
- Soft fermented cheeses such as gouda, CC, parmesan, cheddar, non-pasteurized sauerkraut
- Kampuchea Tea
Probiotics lower cholesterol, reduce tooth decay, upper respiratory infections and yeast infections, and balance out the GI tract. With a balance of beneficial bacteria, studies show that it reduces inflammation and infections because the GI tract is one of the first line of defenses in the body.